This dish caught my eye already years ago and watered my mouth even before I tried it.
And when I saw it on the menu of one of my all time favorite hotels at Panama’s amazing surf spot Playa de Venao, I simply couldn’t resist.
sizzling and steaming, with just the right amount of chunky and garlicky tomato sauce plus the perfect poached eggs – actually perfect for dipping bread, but also amazing on its own.
My perfect breakfast, lunch and dinner. And super easy as well.
[recipe title=”Fitness Shakshuka” servings=”2″ time=”30 minuts” difficulty=”easy”]
This Shakshuka is fit, because I either like to make the tomato salsa from scratch or I look for a low-carb/ sugar-free one.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of tomato salsa of your choice – but keep it low-sugar when you go for a jar-bought one
- 1 cup of sliced onion
- 1 cup of diced peppers
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- parsley or chive, if desire
- Start by heating a cast iron pan and some olive oil on your stove and subsequently add onions, minced garlic and diced peppers to sear them for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato salsa and if you do not use a seasoned one, add salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce thickens a bit, stir it well and then form little “holes” for your eggs with a spoon.
- Crack the eggs into the holes and lower the heat on your stove.
- Now it’s important to cover the pan with a lid and let the eggs cook until they are ready for your preference.