Have you noticed that each time summer comes around, magazine are full of article about “THE ONE BIKINI DIET”?”THE PLAN TO LOSE 10LB in 10 DAYS” or “WHAT STARS DO TO GET BEACH READY”?
The truth is that some of those diets might work for some of us – for others it will not do anything, but help you to feel desperate on the journey to health and fitness.
Why? Because not everybody is created equal and before you start doing anything towards the direction of fitness and healthy nutrition, it is recommendable to find out what you individual body type is.
How can you tell? Take Bodybuilding.com’ simple test and know!
And then start learning how to train for your body type, what the differences are and how to tailor your diet and exercise plan.
Three basic human body types
There are three basic human body types: the endomorph, characterized by a preponderance of body fat; the mesomorph, marked by a well-developed musculature; and the ectomorph, distinguished by a lack of much fat or muscle tissue.
The Endomorphic Body Type
- Round, soft physique
- Shapely, naturally chubbier
- Short neck
- Tapered limbs
- Long trunk
- Prominent thighs and upper arms
- Limbs can appear short (until weight loss)
- Wide bone structure
- High levels of body fat (may be overweight)
The Mesomorphic Body Type
- Naturally lean, muscular and strong
- Medium size joints/ bones
- Wider at the shoulders than the hips – i.e. chest dominates over abdominal area
- Broad/ square shoulders
- Female mesomorph: defined hourglass figure
- Efficient metabolism
- Gaining muscle is almost effortless
- Losing fat is almost effortless
- Responds quickly to exercise
The Ectomorphic Body Type
- Small joints/ boned
- Long arms and legs
- Linear physique
- Small shoulders, chest and butt
- Lightly muscle
- Low body fat (without exercising or following low calorie diets)
- Can eat anything they like without weight gain
- Fast and efficient metabolism
- Difficulty gaining weight or muscle mass
Read more on Female Ectomorphs, their ideal nutrition and workout strategies and more.
Can you change your body type?
Some of us have the goal – and hopefully the time and dedication it takes – to look like a mesomorph even if they are not. Which can be achieved with a smart combination of nutrition and training, but how long it takes depends on your original body type and genes.